Wednesday, June 8, 2011

2011 Tour de Valley Underway

WHEELING - It's that time of year again, the 2011 running of the Tour de Valley took place early this morning nearly 500 of the world's most talented cyclists departed from downtown Wheeling. The race is one of the most prestigious in the entire world, attracting riders from every continent. The start of the race marked the end of the pre-race festival held annually in Wheeling before the race begins. This year's festival, however, had to be held on a large number of rafts, as the city is still underwater from the McMahon sink flood. That did not stop the event's die hards though.

"I've come to every single festival for the past two years," local resident Moana Jenkins told us. "I brought a couple of my kids with me, but I left my husband at home because he needs to fix my dang clothesline."

The festivities began last weekend, with rigatoni dinners every night, live bands, and carnival food vendors. Legendary recording artist B.E. Taylor even made an appearance, drawing in a record setting crowd of 30. After his show, the riders were introduced, from favorite Alberto Contador to local hero Moondog. The race was delayed early on by controversy surrounding another local rider by the name of Russel 'Rottweiler' Jones for attempting to enter the race riding a 2003 Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Jones told OVN that the rules should be clearer in the future.

"They didn't say nothin' about me bringing a motorcycle in the rulebook," said Jones. "All it said was that I had to bring my own bike. Well this is the only bike I got so what did they expect?"

The race continued on without interruption. The only difference in this year's course from last year's is that the first 10 miles of the race will be held in the left lane of Interstate 70 instead of the right due to road work.

"It makes the race a little more exciting," said event manager David Rutledge. "Aside from dealing with the many other riders, the competitors will have to dodge oncoming traffic at 65 miles per hour."

The race will turn to the north once the riders hit St. Clairsville, run through many back roads until it reaches Steubenville, cross the river to Weirton and finally run down Route 2 into Wheeling. Local residents say they will be helping out the riders as they pass by their houses.

"I know them boys will be thirsty," said Barton resident Lawrence Kipler. "I'm setting up a drink stop where I'll be handing 'em some cold beers as they're passin' by."

No comments:

Post a Comment